Saturday, 26 December 2009 13:25
Mettupalayam is the taluk headquarters of Mettupalayam taluk in Coimbtore district. On 20th November of 1919 Mahajana School Committee was formed to start a school. Philanthropist Mr. Kasthuri Iyer donated two acres of land and a school was built with 5 class rooms and 7 Teachers were appointed to teach a strength of 120 students.
Mr. Ethirajalu Iyer and Karrupasamy Iyer donated two acres of arecanut tope to the school in the year 1920.
V.C. Vellingiri Gowder of Vellakinar and Mr. P. Samanna Naidu were President and Secretary for a School Committee of 23 members. Classes of 6th, 7th, and 8th were started in the years 1921, 1922 & 1923 respectively. Sri Lakshmi vilas Nidhi and Sri Saratha Nidhi helped for the expenses of the school.
In the year 1928, when P.B. Nanjaiah Gowder were president, Six class rooms were built with government aid. Now the school had a strength of 400 students and 14 teachers to teach them.
Mr. T. Veerappa Gowder, Pattakkarar of Palapatti was secretary in the year 1935. The School was upgraded as district board high school and students were sent for 1938 SSLC Examinations.
Mr. M.N. Ethirajalu Iyer took over as secretary from 1938 and eight clas rooms were added in the next ten years and there was provision for 900 elementary and 500 high school students in the school.
The administration was transferred from district board to Mahajana School Committee from 01.05.1950.
When Mr. V.T. Sankar and K.S. Varadaraja Iyengar were president and secretary respectively Secretarial and engineering blocks were built with the help of rotary club.
Mr. N. Krishnasamy took over the secretary post from the year 1978 and approval was accorded for +2 Classes. Due to the shortage of class rooms shift system was introduced and two laboratories were added with the aid of Indo – Swiss Synthetic Gem factory and M/s. V. Subramanian and V. Veeraragavan.
Mr. Sajjan Raj nahar Donated Few class rooms in memory of his parents. The School Committee built toilet facilities for the teachers at a cost of Rs.40,000/-.
Another 92 cents were donated by MNP and Sons and four blocks were added in the platinum jubilee year of 1991.
- The Building formed by Ganga Naidu trust.
- The Biulding by Tan-India in memory of SSM Subramanian.
- The Building by H.N. Nanjiah in memory of M.N.P. nanjaiah Gowder and T. Veerammal.
- The Building lead the family of H.N. Lingaiah in his memory.
Mrs. H.N. Thimmamal, sister of H.N. Nanjaiah who was a member of school committee and wife of late Justice Honnaiah of Karnataka high court donated one lakh rupees and an open auditorium was built at a cost of Rs.5 Lakhs.
Again the 1996 – 1997 Indo – Swiss Synthetic Gem Factory donated Rs. 2 lakhs.
Dr. N. Mahalingam Computer Center , computer science ws introduced from the year 1997- 1998 and free coaching classes are functioning from the year 2003.
Nursery and a primary School was built at a cost of Rs. 4 lakhs in the 66 cents land donated by Mr. H.N. Lingaiah. The School was expanded in the year 2004.
The Chairman Mr. N. Mahalingam and managing director Mr. N. Krishnasamy donated Rs. 7.5 lakhs on behalf of Indo – Swiss factory to add additional class rooms in the nursery school and the school committee express its heart felt thanks to them.
In the year 2001 Five class rooms were added in memory of K.S. Varadaraja Iyengar who was a director in Indo – Swiss factory.
Salient Features of the school:
NCC, NSS, Scout, Red Cross, savings bank Literacy Association, Commercial, Mathematical social educative music association and environment club are functioning in the school for the upgrade of the students.
The Elementary school run by the School committee is functioning very well and two blocks of 9 class rooms each, totally 18 rooms were added at a cost of Rs.45 lakhs.
The teachers and non-teaching staff are co-operating verywell for the welfare of the school and the School committee thanks the Philanthropists who donated for the school.
Source : School Detail Guide, Mahajana Higher Secondary School, Mettupalayam - 641301.